Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Teaching by Web Cam

Many of you know I have been teaching via web cam since the beginning of 2011.  I have quite a few students to date, (most from Canada - hmmm) (I am in New Hampshire USA) and all different time zones!  I have to say how much fun this is.  How does it work you ask?  It really is completely up to you, but here's how I have been structuring the classes. 
IDEAS for Classes On-Line:
Felt Upholstery Fabric
Felt Rugs
Feather Weight Scarves
Ottoman
Design and Styling Motifs
And whatever else you would like to learn.
HERE'S HOW we do it: 

I break the sessions into one and two hour live time demos, slide shows and coaching, each class breaking into 1, 2, 3 or 4 week (or more) sessions.  We set the dates which work best for us both, and meet up on-line at the planned time.  I will have students do a bit of advanced planning, we often go back and forth by e-mail or video-chat before or in between sessions.   During a session I will demo the day's goal, give instruction/tips/coach/brainstorm/etc. and then you do your own piece during that day, the following day or week.  These sessions work well as almost-independant study, except for project's wet felting day, which we spend a couple hours on line getting you started, and then we check back in with each other, so I can see how you are doing or have done, answer questions and that sort of thing. 
*If you would like a full day class we could also do that as well.  Do you have a couple of friends who want to learn too?  We can do small groups! 
WHAT Do You Need?:
- a video-cam/laptop for your computer and the internet connection to support streaming (the better to see you with and sound; the better to hear you with )
- good lighting
- a place where you can work/lay out/wet felt - where I can see you through your camera
- your computer to view my slide shows or receive images and exercises from me
- some felting experience
Here are SOME OF THE PROJECTS made by Video-Cam (On-Line) students:
Elaine's Upholstery Fabric Seat Covers
Cindy's Ottoman (Upholstery Fabric and Ottoman Building Tips)
Trish's Bench (Upholstery Fabric)

6 comments:

  1. Nicole, I love this idea, you're so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Ting, it has been really fun and interesting to offer this as an option to students from far away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to do the upholstery fabric webcam class! Hmmmm, when will work calm down enough to make this possible? I have a wonderful slingback-type rocking chair that needs a new cover. I did a webcam class with Andrea Graham last month and it worked great. Not as intensive as an in-person class, but for me I learned what I needed to to move my art along. And my days of traveling to workshops are over while my kids are still small, so technology made the difference between getting the instruction vs. not. You can bet I'll be sending you an email with a workshop date request after the new year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great Julie. You are right it seems to be a bit less intense that in group class, but the real gem of these classes are that it really is at your pace. The biggest difference will become when I can figure out a larger class on-line venue with multiple students. Then then sessions are going to be much more to the schedule with specific goals for each session. Since I teach much more than my felting techniques (design & theory), there is so much more one can add to their arsenal as a student. See you after the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Highly recommend Nicole's online class. I learnt a lot that I am now using in other projects. I am looking forward to recovering a old chair next.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Cindy, I can't wait to see the chair!!

    ReplyDelete