Thursday, July 1, 2010

Vintage Find (well gift really)

isn't she mer-beautiful?  She is a detail from a hankie my 90 year old mother-in-law gifted me this past week.  I am thinking the hankie belongs to he series of Puzzle Portraits I am working on for a new worshop this coming Fall called - yup - Puzzle Portraits.  My first protrait is a Mer-Bunny in honor of my little bunny Babette who at the end of her lovely life was a indeed a Mer-Bun.   When she was paralyzed and I made heer a little cover for her hind end that was shaped like a mermaid tail, she loved it, it helped her scoot around easier, and I would like to think it appealed to her sense of beauty.  (I made the "tails" in three different colors.) 
So with a little investigating I have found who Tammis Keef is (The textile designer of my new old hankie) She was incredibly prolific, and there is the most amazing website of many many many of her designs, though I do not see my mermaid on this site http://www.nwfestival.com/T_Keefe.htm.  Her style is very 40-50's I love the section on that site that shows the India and Arabia section.  Maybe I will have to use my hankie a bit differently now that I found I have a morsel of Textile designer's history.

No comments:

Post a Comment