Monday, May 31, 2010

One Last day of OTTOMANS!

We are two days into our workshop, and boy what a great time we are having!  I am so pleased with each person's creative process, and am of course sharing constructive suggestions for design and color while working on laying out patterned felt techniques and yesterday's wet felting.

I like sharing many felting concepts with students as I feel there is more than one way to work the fiber.  I certainly learned, mostly self taught, by trail and error as well as simplifying production.  Part of my mantra is "economize".  I try to be smart about how I use my space, roll my wet felts around my table, etc.  The less extra motions and steps I take (in production felting and rug making) the better for my energy!  

I always share a variety of tools and ideas during my workshops, and suggest felters try as much as they can or want to (It is great in a workshop experience because a felter who is on a limited budget can try out a variety of things before making a financial commitment of an expensive purchase.)  For example, I love my Fabulous Feltomatic, and since I purchased mine 4 years ago to aid me in making a VERY LARGE rug, I have cherished it!
The studios awaits its students, studio stations are set up
Seven students hard at work
Four of seven of the sides, a couple of fabrics for tops and a long fabric for making felt tassels all out to dry
A few more tops

Our second felting day also included two other instructionals.  Each designer is just that during this workshop, they are conceptualizing a finished "decorated" piece of furniture.  And must decide if we want trims and other finishing accents, and of course make the felt fabrics or object for those on the second day.  For designers wanting decorative tassels for their ottomans, I gave the steps and techniques for making those.  For designers who wanted felted flowers on theirs I made one during the day and passed around the room through out the process to show my demonstration as they half concentrated on getting their felts rolled.

Today, the last day, is assembly day.  The studio is set up with 4 stations; a cutting station, sewing station, outdoor gluing station, and a carpentry station.  We rotate through the stations and the finish our beauties by the afternoon! 

More photos to post tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment